The Umo App is your travel companion, letting you buy contactless transit passes with a tap, get directions, find your next bus or train, and move seamlessly wherever life takes you.
- What is the Umo App?
- How do I set up a Umo account?
- How do I pay my fare with the Umo App?
- Do I have to use the Umo App?
- I’m eligible for a fare-discount program. How does that work with the Umo App?
- I’m a senior, which means I ride free on my agency’s routes. Do I need a Umo account?
- I just purchased a pass. When can I use it?
- I just used my Umo App to pay my fare. When will the fare payment be posted to my Umo account?
- Can my family or friends use my Umo App or Umo account?
- Can I use my Umo App to pay for the fare of another person traveling with me?
- How do I plan a trip using the Umo App?
- How do I locate nearby stations?
- How do I add favorite stations?
- How do I see available transit lines (routes)?
- How do I add favorite lines (routes) or stations?
- How do I alter my trip details?
- How do I view my trip history?
- How do I add a favorite location?
- How do I change my Umo metro area?
The Umo App is a mobile application that lets you prepay and reload fare value to your mobile device. You can scan your mobile device at an electronic reader when boarding each bus or train. The Umo App also provides you with directions and helps you find your next bus or train.
Download the Umo App on your smartphone from either the iOS App Store (for iPhone devices) or Google Play Store (for Android devices) and set up your account with a mobile phone number and email or alternatively, a username & password.
Umo App OS Requirements:
- For iOS devices, the Umo App requires iOS 12.0 or later.
For Android devices, Umo App requires Android OS 8.0 or later.
You must first purchase a fare product, a pass or Cash Balance (if offered by your local transit agency), for use on the transit agency’s system you want to ride. (In the Umo App, simply go to Wallet > Cash Balance or Passes and follow the purchase steps.) Once you’ve made a purchase, just select the Validation Code option on the Main Screen and show that Code to the reader when you board.
No. A cash option is available to you if you don’t use the Umo App. You can also choose to use the Umo card, which is available from all participating transit agencies, or, if offered by your agency, a paper pass. Check your agency’s fares and passes webpage to see what paper passes are available.
Each Umo agency has its own application and approval process for fare discounts, but once you are approved for a discount, your Umo account will be updated. The Umo System will automatically recognize your discount when you buy passes or pay fares using the Umo App.
For more information about specific discount programs, please contact your local transit agency.
Each agency sets is own rules for free and discounted fares. Please view your transit agency’s website, ask a bus operator or contact the agency’s customer service line for information.
All purchases are posted instantly to your Umo account and can be used immediately. Just select the Validation Code option on the main screen and show the Code to the reader when you board.
Note: Depending on your transit agency, it's possible that once you buy a fare, it activates immediately. In this case, all you have to do is share your Show Code screen in the wallet section of UmoApp to the driver.
In most cases, your fare payment will be posted instantly to your Umo account and will be visible on the Transaction History screen.
No. They must use their own Umo account with the Umo App or with a Umo Card.
Each participating agency has its own rules regarding the use of the Umo App to pay fares for a companion traveler. Contact your agency’s customer service or visit its website for more information.
When I pay a fare using the Umo App, how do I know that the correct amount has been deducted from my account?
If you are using your Cash Balance, the reader will typically display the amount of the fare and the remaining balance in your Umo account.
If you are using a pass, the displayed information will typically include the name of the pass and the number of trips remaining or the expiration date.
Note: Your Cash Balance or number of unused trips information may not include recent transactions.
When you download and open the Umo App for the first time, enter your existing Umo card number to replace the Umo Card with the Umo App. Your Cash Balance, passes, transfer rights and transaction history will all be preserved since those are part of your Umo account. Once you begin using the Umo App, your Umo Card is no longer usable and should be cut in half and disposed.
You can plan a trip by entering a destination in the Where do you want to go? field of the main screen, selecting your preferred trip, and booking it when you’re ready.
Your starting point defaults to Your Current Location. You can also tap in this field and enter an alternate starting point.
- When planning a trip, you can set your preferred trip time by using the options in the Depart Now (or selected option) drop-down list.
- You can alter your preferred Route Type and Transit Type preferences by tapping the Filter option.
- You can view your trip history by tapping Wallet > Ride History.
- You can verify that you have sufficient Cash Balance funds or a pass to pay for your trip by tapping Wallet.
You can locate nearby transit stations by selecting the Stations icon at the bottom of the main screen of the Umo App.
From the Station screen, tap Nearby to see nearby transit stations.
Select a station for details.
You can add a station to your Favorites by selecting the Stations icon at the bottom of the main screen.
- From the Station screen, tap Nearby to see nearby transit stations.
- Select a station and add it as a favorite by tapping the star at the bottom of the Station screen.
You can view available lines and add a line to your Favorites by tapping the Lines icon at the bottom of the main screen.
- From the Lines screen, tap All Lines to see all available transit lines.
- Select a line for more line- and stop-specific details.
You can add a line or station to your Favorites by selecting the Lines icon at the bottom of the main screen.
- From the Lines screen, tap All Lines to see nearby transit stations.
- Select a line and add it as a Favorite by tapping the star at the bottom of the screen.
- (Optional) To favorite a station or stop within a line or route, simply select the station/stop icon to add it to your Favorites.
Altering Trip Time
When planning a trip, you can set your preferred trip time by using the options in the Depart now (or selected option) drop-down list to select one of the following:
- Depart Now – to depart at the present time
- Set your departure time – to depart at a set departure time.
- Set desired arrival time – to plan your trip based on a desired arrival time.
- Last lines for today – to plan your trip using the last available lines of the day.
To alter trip time for an existing trip, go to the trip, select the Depart now (or selected option) drop-down list, and select another departure-time option.
Altering Trip Details
You can alter your preferred Route Type and Transit Type preferences by tapping the Filter option.
You can also alter your route type by tapping the navigation menu icon and selecting Settings > Trip Plan.
To alter route type, select one of the following preferences:
- Best route
- Least walking
- Least transfers
To alter transit types, select any of the available options that apply:
- (Etc. - depending on the transit types available in your area)
You can view your trip history by going to Wallet > Ride History.
- From the main screen, tap Wallet.
- On the My Wallet screen, tap Ride History. Your previous trips appear.
- Tap any previous trip for additional details.
You can add home or work favorite location details by tapping either Home or Work under the Favorites section of the main screen.
From the main screen, tap either Home or Work to set your home or work Favorites location.
You can set this by doing one of the following:
- Enter an address in the Type a Favorite Location to add it to your favorites.
- Select Your current Location to save your current location to your favorites.
- Select Choose on Map to select a location on a map and save it to your favorites.
Your added home or work favorite address appears under the Favorites section on the main screen.
The Umo App will default to the metro area you are in if you’ve shared your location with us.
You can change your Umo metro area preference in the App by tapping the navigation menu and selecting Settings > Metro Area.
On the Change Metro Area screen, locate and select your preferred metro area. If available, your designated metro area is updated for all future trips.