The Umo App is your travel companion, letting you buy contactless transit passes with a tap, get directions, find your next bus or train, and move seamlessly wherever life takes you.
Select any of the following FAQs for answers to Umo frequently asked questions:
- FAQs About Getting Started with Umo
- Find Umo App phone requirements, download the app, set up your account—and more
- FAQs About Routes, Trips and Directions
- Find details about planning trips using Umo's Directions, Stations and Lines features to get you where you're going
- FAQs About Umo Trip Payments and Discounts
- Find answers related to purchasing passes, adding cash balances, trip-validation code scans, and discounts
- FAQs About Fare Capping
- Find information about fare-capping benefits
- FAQs About Umo App Account Settings
- Find answers for how to customize your Umo App notifications and set preferences for your region, language, trips, maps—and more
The Umo App is a mobile application that lets you prepay and reload fare value to your mobile device. You can scan your mobile device at an electronic reader when boarding each bus or train. The Umo App also provides you with directions and helps you find your next bus or train.
The Umo App replaces the TouchPass Mobile App. The Umo App provides all of the capabilities of the TouchPass Mobile App and includes a variety of new features, such as multi-modal trip planning, with a fresh new look. Although you can continue to use the original TouchPass Mobile App, distribution and support of it will be discontinued in the future.
Download the Umo App to your phone and set up your account with a mobile phone number, email or username & password.
Umo App OS Requirements:
- For iOS devices, the Umo App requires iOS 12.0 or later.
For Android devices, Umo App requires Android OS 8.0 or later.
You must first purchase a fare product, a pass or Cash Balance, for use on the transit agency’s system you want to ride. Once you’ve completed that simple step, just select the Validation Code option on the Main Screen and show that Code to the reader when you board.
Fare capping is a benefit for passengers using stored value for fare payment that any agency using the Umo System can implement. Passengers will receive free rides after a set amount of fares has been paid during a specific period of time. These limits (“fare caps”) may be set by journey or on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.
The Daily fare cap period starts at the beginning of the service day for the agency, typically midnight but may vary for a specific agency and ends at 1 minute prior to the start of the next service day.
The Weekly fare cap time period starts on Monday and ends on Sunday.
The Monthly fare cap time period starts on the first calendar day of the month and ends on the last day of the month.
To determine if your agency is participating in fare capping and to determine what the set fare limits are please visit or call your agency’s website or customer service location.
You do not have to do anything to participate in fare capping, if your transit agency offers this feature, other than to load Cash Balance funds to your Umo Account and pay fares using Cash Balance by using the Umo App. The Umo System will automatically track the amount of fares paid. Once the fare cap amount is met, the system will no longer charge you fare for future trips taken during the rest of the given fare cap period. To determine what the fare caps are for your agency, visit your agency’s website or visit or call your agency’s customer service location.
Unlike buying discount passes in advance, fare capping lets you earn discounted passes as you go! When you use your Cash Balance, the Umo System will automatically cap your expenditures at discount pass prices. For example: when you spend what a daily pass would cost, the Umo System lets you ride the rest of the day for free. Once you reach the cost of a weekly or monthly discount pass, the system lets you ride free the rest of the week or month. Weeks are counted Sunday to Saturday, and months are counted by calendar months.
Does it ever make sense to buy weekly or monthly discount passes with my account rather than use a Cash Balance?
If you use transit fairly regularly, and your agency participates in fare capping, the answer is no.
No. A cash option will remain available to you if you don’t use the Umo App. You can also choose to use the Umo card, which is available from all participating transit agencies, or, if offered by your agency, a paper pass. Check your agency’s fares and passes webpage to see what paper passes are available.
Each Umo agency has its own application and approval process for fare discounts, but once you are approved for a discount, your Umo account will be updated. The Umo System will automatically recognize your discount when you buy passes or pay fares using the Umo App.
For more information about specific discount programs, please contact your local transit agency.
Each agency sets is own rules for free and discounted fares. Please view your transit agency’s website, ask a bus operator or contact the agency’s customer service line for information.
You can download the App to any eligible smartphone from the appropriate app store:
After you register your mobile device and create a Umo account you can start buying Cash Balance funds or passes, get directions, find your next bus or train, and pay your fare by showing the Validation Code on the Home screen to the reader on the bus or train.
Paying your fare with the Umo App on your smartphone uses a two-dimensional barcode, also known as a Quick Response or “QR” code, that is linked with your Umo account. This QR code is known as a “Validation Code”.
The Validation Code is accessed from the main screen of the Umo App.
To pay a fare, tap Validation Code option on the main screen, then turn the screen of the mobile phone toward the reader until you see a video of your mobile device displayed on the reader.
While watching the video, move your mobile device so that the Validation Code is positioned within the white corner markers also visible on the reader.
The video will disappear once the reader scans your Code.
You can view the specific types of transit passes offered by your agency by selecting the Buy button on the main screen. If you want to buy Cash Balance or a pass for another agency, tap the city name displayed at the top of the Home screen, then select the appropriate city for that agency from the displayed list.
You can do one of the following:
- Sign in to your Umo account using the Umo Pass website. The passes in your account will be displayed on the My Products screen with its expiration date (where applicable).
- Sign in to your Umo App and select the Wallet option in the bottom navigation menu. Then select the Passes option.
- View the display on the reader whenever you use your Umo App to pay a fare. The expiration date of the pass is typically included in the information shown on the fare-confirmation screen.
- Visit your transit agency’s customer service location for pass expiration-date details.
All purchases are posted instantly to your Umo account and can be used immediately. Just select the Validation Code option on the main screen and show the Code to the reader when you board.
You can purchase a pass for each agency that you wish to ride by touching the City/State displayed at the top of the Home screen, selecting the appropriate city from the displayed list, and then selecting the Buy button. Some agencies may be participating in a regional fare program and may offer passes valid for use on some or all participating agencies. You can view all of the passes you purchase by selecting the Wallet option in the navigation bar at the bottom of every screen. When you ride, the Umo System will automatically select the pass you need for a given trip, regardless of the city or region.
Although there are no fees for opening or using a Umo account, you may be charged by your bankcard provider for using your Debit or Credit card to make purchases using the Umo Pass website or the Umo App. Your mobile provider may also charge you for sending or receiving messages using the Umo App or using your mobile device to connect to the Umo Pass website.
In most cases, your fare payment will be posted instantly to your Umo account and will be visible on the Transaction History screen.
No. They must use their own Umo account with the Umo App or with a Umo Card.
Each participating agency has its own rules regarding the use of the Umo App to pay fares for a companion traveler. Contact your agency’s customer service or visit its website for more information.
When I pay a fare using the Umo App, how do I know that the correct amount has been deducted from my account?
If you are using your Cash Balance, the reader will typically display the amount of the fare and the remaining balance in your Umo account.
If you are using a pass, the displayed information will typically include the name of the pass and the number of trips remaining or the expiration date.
Note: Your Cash Balance or number of unused trips information may not include recent transactions.
When you download and open the Umo App for the first time, enter your existing Umo card number to replace the Umo Card with the Umo App. Your Cash Balance, passes, transfer rights and transaction history will all be preserved since those are part of your Umo account. Once you begin using the Umo App, your Umo Card is no longer usable and should be cut in half and disposed.
You can plan a trip by entering a destination in the Where do you want to go? field of the main screen, selecting your preferred trip, and booking it when you’re ready.
Your starting point defaults to Your Current Location. You can also tap in this field and enter an alternate starting point.
- When planning a trip, you can set your preferred trip time by using the options in the Depart Now (or selected option) drop-down list.
- You can alter your preferred Route Type and Transit Type preferences by tapping the Filter option.
- You can view your trip history by tapping Wallet > Ride History.
- You can verify that you have sufficient Cash Balance funds or a pass to pay for your trip by tapping Wallet.
You can locate nearby transit stations by selecting the Stations icon at the bottom of the main screen of the Umo App.
From the Station screen, tap Nearby to see nearby transit stations.
Select a station for details.
You can add a station to your Favorites by selecting the Stations icon at the bottom of the main screen.
- From the Station screen, tap Nearby to see nearby transit stations.
- Select a station and add it as a favorite by tapping the star at the bottom of the Station screen.
You can view available lines and add a line to your Favorites by tapping the Lines icon at the bottom of the main screen.
- From the Lines screen, tap All Lines to see all available transit lines.
- Select a line for more line- and stop-specific details.
You can add a line or station to your Favorites by selecting the Lines icon at the bottom of the main screen.
- From the Lines screen, tap All Lines to see nearby transit stations.
- Select a line and add it as a Favorite by tapping the star at the bottom of the screen.
- (Optional) To favorite a station or stop within a line or route, simply select the station/stop icon to add it to your Favorites.
Altering Trip Time
When planning a trip, you can set your preferred trip time by using the options in the Depart now (or selected option) drop-down list to select one of the following:
- Depart Now – to depart at the present time
- Set your departure time – to depart at a set departure time.
- Set desired arrival time – to plan your trip based on a desired arrival time.
- Last lines for today – to plan your trip using the last available lines of the day.
To alter trip time for an existing trip, go to the trip, select the Depart now (or selected option) drop-down list, and select another departure-time option.
Altering Trip Details
You can alter your preferred Route Type and Transit Type preferences by tapping the Filter option.
You can also alter your route type by tapping the navigation menu icon and selecting Settings > Trip Plan.
To alter route type, select one of the following preferences:
- Best route
- Least walking
- Least transfers
To alter transit types, select any of the available options that apply:
- Light Rail
- Cable Car
You can view your trip history by going to Wallet > Ride History.
- From the main screen, tap Wallet.
- On the My Wallet screen, tap Ride History. Your previous trips appear.
- Tap any previous trip for additional details.
You can add home or work favorite location details by tapping either Home or Work under the Favorites section of the main screen.
From the main screen, tap either Home or Work to set your home or work Favorites location.
You can set this by doing one of the following:
- Enter an address in the Type a Favorite Location to add it to your favorites.
- Select Your current Location to save your current location to your favorites.
- Select Choose on Map to select a location on a map and save it to your favorites.
Your added home or work favorite address appears under the Favorites section on the main screen.
The Umo App will default to the metro area you are in if you’ve shared your location with us.
You can change your Umo metro area preference in the App by tapping the navigation menu and selecting Settings > Metro Area.
On the Change Metro Area screen, locate and select your preferred metro area. If available, your designated metro area is updated for all future trips.