The following FAQs answer frequently asked questions related to Umo fare payments and discounts:
- How do I pay for my trip using the Umo App?
- What types of passes can I add to my Umo account?
- I just used my Umo App to pay my fare. When will the fare payment be posted to my Umo account?
- I just purchased a pass. When can I use it?
- How do I check my pass's expiration date?
- When I pay a fare using the Umo App, how do I know that the correct amount has been deducted from my account?
- Can I use my Umo App to pay for the fare of another person traveling with me?
- I’m eligible for a fare-discount program. How does that work with the Umo App?
- Does it ever make sense to buy weekly or monthly discount passes with my account rather than use a Cash Balance?
- I’m a senior, which means I ride free on my agency’s routes. Do I need a Umo account?
- What is Fare Capping?
How do I pay for my trip using the Umo App?
You must first purchase a fare product, (a Pass or Cash Balance - Wallet > Buy a pass or add cash), for use on your local transit agency's vehicles. Once you’ve completed that simple step, just tap the Validation Code option on the Main Screen and show that code to the reader when you board.
What types of passes can I add to my Umo account?
You can view the specific types of transit passes offered by your agency by tapping the Buy button on the Umo App's main screen. If you want to buy a Cash Balance or a Pass for another agency, tap the city name displayed at the top of the main Directions screen, then select the appropriate city for that agency from the displayed list.
How does Umo App validation code scanning work?
Paying your fare with the Umo App on your smartphone uses a two-dimensional barcode (also known as a "Quick Response" or ("QR”) code, or "Validation Code") that is linked with your Umo account.
You can access the Validation Code from the main screen of your Umo App.
- To pay a fare, tap the Validation Code option on the main screen, then turn the screen of the mobile phone toward the reader until you see a video of your mobile device displayed on the reader.
- While watching the video, move your mobile device so that the Validation Code is positioned within the white corner markers also visible on the reader.
- The video will disappear once the reader scans your Code.
I just used my Umo App to pay my fare. When will the fare payment be posted to my Umo account?
In most cases, your fare payment will be posted instantly to your Umo account and will be visible on the Transaction History screen.
I just purchased a pass. When can I use it?
All purchases are posted instantly to your Umo account and can be used immediately. Just select the Validation Code option on the main screen and show the Code to the reader when you board the bus or train.
How do I check my pass's expiration date?
You can do one of the following:
- In the Umo App, tap Wallet in the bottom navigation menu, then tap Passes.
- Sign in to your Umo account using the Umo Pass website. The passes in your account will be displayed on the My Products screen with its expiration date (where applicable).
- View the display on the reader whenever you use the Umo App to pay a fare. The expiration date of the pass is typically included in the information shown on the fare-confirmation screen.
- Visit your transit agency’s customer service location for pass expiration-date details.
When I pay a fare using the Umo App, how do I know that the correct amount has been deducted from my account?
If you are using your Cash Balance, the code reader will typically display the amount of the fare and the remaining balance in your Umo account.
If you are using a pass, the displayed information will typically include the name of the pass and the number of trips remaining or the expiration date.
Note: Your Cash Balance or number of unused trips information may not include recent transactions.
Can I use my Umo App to pay for the fare of another person traveling with me?
Each participating agency has its own rules regarding the use of the Umo App to pay fares for a companion traveler. Contact your agency’s customer service or visit its website for more information.
I’m eligible for a fare-discount program. How does that work with the Umo App?
Each Umo agency has its own application and approval process for fare discounts. Once you are approved for a discount, your Umo account will be updated. The Umo System will automatically recognize your discount when you buy passes or pay fares using the Umo App.
Does it ever make sense to buy weekly or monthly discount passes with my account rather than use a Cash Balance?
If you use transit regularly, and your agency participates in fare capping, the answer is no.
I’m a senior, which means I ride free on my agency’s routes. Do I need a Umo account?
Each agency sets its own rules for free and discounted fares. Please view your transit agency’s website, ask a bus operator, or contact your agency’s customer service for information.
What is Fare Capping?
Fare capping is a benefit for passengers using stored value (a "Cash Balance") for fare payment that any agency using the Umo System can implement. Passengers will receive free rides after a set number of fares has been paid during a specific period. These limits (“fare caps”) may be set by journey or on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.