What is Umo fare capping?
Umo fare capping enables riders to deposit funds into their Umo account (Umo "Cash") and pay for each bus or train ride. Once the cumulative fares equal the price of a day or monthly pass, riders enjoy unlimited travel for the remainder of the day or calendar month, without the need for further fare payments.
The following FAQs answer frequently asked questions related to Umo App "fare capping":
- What is Umo fare capping?
- How does Umo fare capping work?
- What are the details for Umo fare capping?
- How do I participate in fare capping?
- How are weekly and monthly time intervals calculated for fare capping?
How does Umo fare capping work?
Unlike buying discount passes in advance, Umo fare capping lets you earn discounted passes as you go! When you use your Umo App Cash Balance, the Umo System will automatically "cap" your expenditures at discount pass prices.
For example: When you spend what a daily pass would cost, the Umo System lets you ride the rest of the day for free. Once you reach the cost of a weekly or monthly discount pass, the system lets you ride free the rest of the week or month.
What are the details for Umo fare capping?
- The Daily fare cap period starts at the beginning of the service day for the agency, typically midnight but may vary for a specific agency and ends at 1 minute prior to the start of the next service day.
- The Weekly fare cap time period starts on Monday and ends on Sunday.
- The Monthly fare cap time period starts on the first calendar day of the month and ends on the last day of the month.
- To determine if your agency is participating in fare capping and to determine what the set fare limits are please visit or call your agency’s website or customer service location.
How do I participate in Umo fare capping?
If your transit agency offers fare capping, you don't have to do anything to participate in fare capping, other than to load and use Cash Balance funds to your Umo Account and pay fares using Cash Balance in the Umo App.
Your Umo App will automatically track the amount of fares paid. Once the fare cap amount is met, the system will no longer charge you fares for future trips taken during the rest of the given fare cap period.
To determine what the fare caps are for your agency, visit your agency’s website or contact your agency’s customer service location.
How are weekly and monthly time intervals calculated for Umo fare capping?
Weeks are counted Monday to Sunday; months are counted by calendar months.
If you have additional questions or comments regarding fare capping, please contact your local transit agency.